Friday, March 27, 2015

#28 Basics in Hand Rearing / Hand Feeding Baby Birds (video post)

A video found on YouTube showing the hand rearing of a baby bird including dealing with a compacted sour crop. This is a baby Galah - very close to the size of a Cockatiel. This procedure is the same for most birds of this size including English Budgies, Parrotlets, Linnies, Lovebirds and Cockatiels.  I follow this same procedure except for the power feeding, I continue to feed the baby with the syringe until the baby is weaned. I do not tube feed (power feed) = using a tube to force food directly into the birds crop. Many experienced breeders do this, However I personally believe my babies turn out better if I spend the time feeding them slowly with only the syringe. If done correctly both ways are however safe.







No comments:

Post a Comment